The village of Bala, is located in the province Mehedinţi, 50 km from Drobeta Turnu Severin, on the road that connects Şovarna with Ilovita. Cities nearby: Motru and Baia de Arama (about 25 km).
Spa Bala has significant reserves of mineral waters and therapeutic mud, and specializes in internal and external therapies. Mineral resources are in the Chiciora Valley, a small tributary of the brook Râieni.
Therapeutic mud is applied to degenerative arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, allergic diseases or infections from rheumatism, gynecological diseases, diseases of the peripheral nervous system, muscle disorders resulting from trauma.
From Bala, many major tourist areas can be visited, such as the Iron Gate Dam, the foot bridge in the early Roman built by Apollodorus of Damascus, the Jiu gap between Bumbesti and Livezeni, known for its wild landscape of the slopes of Cazane, the Cerna Valley, the monasteries Lainicien and Tismana etc.
- Articular rheumatism;
- Degenerative arthritis;
- allergies following infections or acute attacks of rheumatism;
- gynecological disorders;
- disorders of the peripheral nervous system;
- post-traumatic disorders of the muscles and joints.
Resources for the treatment:
Natural therapeutic factors, ie sources with a layer of metallic sulfur iligo: sapropelic mud.
Options of treatment:
baths with hot and cold mineral water;
Places of tourist interest;
- Spa Băile Herculane (the statue of Hercules, the Thieves Cave, aqueducts and baths built during the Roman time, hot springs);
- Mehadiei Basin (Mehadiei medieval fortress, the earthen Citadel of Domasnea, the camp Teregova);
- The city Caransebeş, mentioned in documents in 1289 (fortress from the 12-14th century, historical museum with ethnographic collections, old town hall in Gothic style, formerly the barracks of the border guards in the 18th century, ancient churches from the 13th-18th century, access from the city by cable car to the Muntele Mic to a height of 1529m.);
- The Moldova Noua-Orsova area (Danube valley Cazanele Mari şi Mici, ruins of 14th-15th-century city Drencova, an unfinished rock-cut statue of Decebal);
- Caras-Anina area (Caraşului gap at 19 km, Minis at 14 km, Gârliştea at 9 km, Buhui at 8 km, caves Comarnic - 4000 m., Popovăţ and Racoviţă; Source of Biga);
- Anina-Oraviţa railway;
- oldest theater in baroque style - 1814 furnace + chimney from 1718 in the city Oraviţa;
- Anina park with the statue of the miner;
- Semenic climatic health resort, with slopes that make winter sports possible;
- locomotive museum Reşiţa;
- valley of the River Jiu -32 km long between Livezeni and Bumbeşti, known for its wild landscape, the white slopes, the Jiu River and the beauty of the monastery Lainici from the 18th century;
- The monastery Tismana;
- sculptures of Constantin Brâncuşi from Tg. Jiu.