Călăraşi, the capital of Călăraşi County in the Wallachia region, is situated in south-east Romania, on the bank of Danube's Borcea branch, at about 12 kilometers from the Bulgarian border and 125 kilometers from Bucharest.
The city is an industrial center for lumber and paper, food processing, glass manufacturing, textiles, medical equipment production and heavy industry. The city is known colloquially as "Capşa provinciei" (the Capşa from the provinces).
The site of a prehistoric village, Călăraşi was created by Wallachian princes as a station on the route to Istanbul, operated by horseback riders (the călăraşi). It expanded into a small town, and in 1834 became the surrounding country's capital.