Pătârlagele is a town in the Buzău County, Romania.
Pătârlagele is located in the western part of the county, along the national road connecting Buzău and Braşov, in the Pătârlagele hollow, between the Carpathian Mountains and the Subcarpathian Hills.
The first evidence of the existence of the Pătârlagele commune date back from 1524-1527 , but it probably existed before the establishment of the medieval state of Wallachia.
The name Pătârlagele comes from the German form of the name Peter (in Romanian, Petre or Petru), and the German word lager, meaning camp. The German origin of the name can only be explained by the presence of the Teutonic knights on the other side of the Carpathians, in Ţara Bârsei, during the years 1211-1225 and their conquest of the Buzău Mountains, where they raised fortifications against the Cumans.
The Pătârlagele commune received town rights in 2004.