Zimnicea is the southernmost point of Romania situated on the left bank of the Danube river.This is the most southern place on the banks of the Danube river and the most southern harbour on the Danube in Romania.The distance between the town of Zimnicea and Bucharest is 122 kilometers, 39 kilometers to Alexandria and 56 kilometers to Turnu Magurele.
Located at the southern sides of the country, this territory has provided favorable conditions for housing still far in the past. Settlement with a 2-millennia existance, Zimnicea developed near a Geto-Dacian fortress (about 1,200 m west of downtown) regarded as the oldest of Wallachia. Basic occupations of the people were the traditional agriculture, fisheries, iron processing, carpentry, pottery, tissue exchange of products. By custom the natives Zimnicea sell grain, cattle, sheep, fish, butter, salt, honey, wax, timber and bought postavuri, oriental fabric, carpets and spices. In the year 1898 the import and export of these products is yet Zimnicea port, whereas rail Zimnicea –Smârdioasa was under construction.
In 1838, the settlement Zimnicea was passed in the fairs, with the general population census of that year 551 families and 3046 inhabitants. In the years 1837-1839 Zimnicea became the capital of Teleorman county.
Near Zimnicea there are ruins of several ancient fortresses and fortifications from the 4th century BC to the 1st century. The oldest are believed by some scholars to have been built to defend the town from Alexander the Great's general, Lisimachos.
The name of the town was first mentioned in 1385 in the travel logs of Christian pilgrims on their way home from their trip to Jerusalem. The Byzantines called it Demnitzikos and later on Dzimnikes or Dzimnikos. The town flourished as a trade post on the trade routes that linked Central Europe to the Balkans.
In 1835, it had 531 households, being the twelfth largest market town in Wallachia. For a short time in 1837 to 1838, it was the capital of Teleorman county, but due to internal dissent between the landowners and merchants, it was replaced by Alexandria.
80% of the town was destroyed during the 1977 Romanian Earthquake, and had to be rebuilt. Paradoxically, most of the destruction was actually done after the natural disaster by bulldozer, being ordered by communist authorities, as a means to create a town from scratch on a new design. A lot of the money involved poured in from Germany and Austria. Ten years later, the newly-build infrastructure was falling apart due mainly to poor workmanship; a lot of buildings started two decades ago are still unfinished (the money was diverted elsewhere) - large sections of Zimnicea are still uninhabited.
Local industry has declined since the fall of the communist regime, as did the population.
Zimnicea has some attractive areas, situated at relatively small downtown area and to which access can be done without difficulties, including: Park City, leisure bases, restaurants, terraces, town stadium with associated facilities.
Although there are many recreational possibilities thanks to the town's position on the riverside of the Danube and thanks to the existing sports bases, practicing sports is limited because of different conditionings like insufficient funds allocated for the maintenance and modernization of the existing facilities and for the personnel in charge with cleaning, supervising and preserving.
"Dunărica” Children Camp The „Dunărica” children camp has a capacity of 200 accommodation places, with a football field and a tennis court, a kayak-canoe base and a cafeteria with 250 places.
"Zimtub SA" Zimnicea Hotel "Zimtub SA" Zimnicea Hotel has a capacity of 48 rooms, a restaurant with 100 places and a Night Club with 80 places.
Amusement and recreation base
The amusement and recreation base "Disko - Hope’ ’is situated on the riverside of the Danube and has a beach with all the utilities, as well as an outdoor dancing club with a capacity of 1,200 places; There is also an amusement base at the beach from Cheson.